Minecraft ray tracing support leverages NVIDIA’s RTX platform, designed specifically around RTX-capable graphics cards. Its latest 20-series cards feature dedicated hardware to accelerate ray tracing, ensuring enabling the feature doesn’t tank your framerate.
“Ray tracing sits at the center of what we think is next for Minecraft,” said Saxs Persson, Franchise Creative Director of Minecraft at Microsoft. “RTX gives the Minecraft world a brand-new feel to it. In normal Minecraft, a block of gold just appears yellow, but with ray tracing turned on, you really get to see the specular highlight, you get to see the reflection, you can even see a mob reflected in it.
- OS: Windows 7 or higher (64 bit)
- Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-750 or 3.2 GHz AMD Phenom™ II X4 955
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 2 GB Direct3D 11 capable video card (GeForce GTX 780 or Radeon R280)
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 14 GB available space
- Additional Notes: These are preliminary system specs that can and will change!